image credit: Robert Taylor
image credit: walkthewilderness.com
Habitat: Southeast Asia
1. Aside from being very cuddly looking (although I wouldn’t recommend trying to hug it) they have an extremely interesting range of vocal calls they use to communicate. Their repertoire includes whistling, screaming, mewing, and even clucking like a chicken!
2. They mark their territory the same way female Bush Dogs do – the good ol’ hand stand method.
3. They travel in packs of up to 40 dogs (typically only 10) and is one of only a few types of wild dogs which hunt in packs – this requires a lot of intelligence and coordination.
4. When hunting as a pack it can subdue prey over 10 times its own body weight, and is even capable of fending off a tiger!
5. It has incredible jumping skills and can reach a vertical height of at least 2.3 metres (7.5 ft).
So what do you think? Would the Dhole win in a talent competition or what? My vote is HELL YEAH!